[TROM1] Animal Postulates

Pru Joy 081 at live.com.au
Sun Aug 9 22:26:50 UTC 2009

Thank you for posing this question David - it is giving my brain a bit of a
workout (which it needs!)

So firstly both examples, the cat & the baby, that Dennis gives are "pro
survival" the only difference being for the cat it is a "learnt" response &
for the "baby" it is pure instinct.

A "wild" animal on the other hand has no "learnt" response to behaving in a
certain way to receive food from a human, so it is also pure instinct that,
in fact, it may actually see the potential of the human being it's food - ha
ha! - and have a SD postulate of eating you!  (And I guess his PD would be
that you "be his food".)

The cat has learnt how to behave to receive food & thus it does have a SD to
make this known with a PD of you knowing it (his desire to eat).
The baby's instincts tell him he better yell loud if he wants to receive
attention & so his SD & PD is the same as the cats - so yes, Dennis was
correct as per my understanding of it.

Maybe Dennis's choice of "stray" cat throws the example "out" a bit - as it
is quite likely that a stray cat has never learnt how to "behave" around
humans to receive food & in fact, may actually see them as "anti survival" &
run like the dickens.

I found this quote a great assistance in sorting this little puzzle out:
"A game, then, can be regarded as a conflict of postulates wherein a being
endeavors to convince his opponent of his own ( PD ) postulate, while
resisting the ( PD ) postulate arrayed against him. All games, despite their
seeming complexity, can be reduced to this basic simplicity and thus
understood."

PJ